This course is one common starting point for the entire database curriculum. The objective of this course is to consider the logical design of relational databases using a methodology known as semantic data modeling and related practical techniques. Major subject areas to be explored are:
• Building a logical data model of increasing complexity and accuracy
• Transforming a logical model into a physical model for a relational database
• Using object oriented and semantic modeling techniques to refine a model
• Identifying classic structures and patterns which may be reused among many different models.
• Learn about star schemas, snowflake schemas and data warehouse models
• Introduce the use of a data model diagramming tool and CASE tools
• Consider the physical objects of a relational database and how they implement a logical model.