This course will equip developers to build efficient SQL statements and to tune applications from the standpoint of an application developer. When this effort is complemented by database server and possibly PL/SQL application tuning, then a highly efficient environment has been built. The target audience for this course is both senior application developers and database administrators. Developers who will be building, debugging and tuning complex SQL statements will benefit from this course. Database administrators responsible for tuning the database will need to collaborate with application developers in order to implement the techniques discussed herein.
This course is not available as part of our public schedule but can be provided on a customised client specific basis.
Oracle Database 10G: Introduction to SQL - Complete Library (Level 1 and 2)
This course will equip developers to build efficient SQL statements and to tune applications from the standpoint of an application developer. When this effort is complemented by database server and possibly PL/SQL application tuning, then a highly efficient environment has been built. Major subject areas to be explored are:
• Consider the unique and differing tuning issues in OLTP database and data warehouse environments.
• Learn the phases of SQL statement execution within the database instance.
• Use various techniques to examine SQL execution plans which are produced.
• Learn about the operation of the Oracle Cost-Based Optimizer, including optimizer statistics and histograms.
• Influence the behavior of the Optimizer and tune SQL statement execution.
• Utilize the database advisory framework and those Advisors specifically intended for SQL tuning.
• Use private and public stored outlines to achieve absolute execution plan stability.
• Understand the self-tuning infrastructure and the automatic SQL tuning capabilities found within the database.
CONTEMPLATING THE TUNING ISSUES:
• Differences between applications
• The challenges of tuning
• The impact of the systems infrastructure
• Using the management & advisory framework
SQL STATEMENT EXECUTION:
• The execution phases
• Sql execution modes
VIEWING THE EXECUTION PLAN:
• More about the execution plan
• Viewing the execution plan
• More interpretation of the plan